What is Calendar Export via iCal?
iCal is a computer file format for storing calendar information. It is primarily designed to be an open standard to allow for easy interoperability with many different applications. iCal is used in major scheduling or calendar software and can also be used as a medium for storing reservation information. Airbnb, just like Booking.com, uses the iCal format to store reservation information.
If you receive reservations via Airbnb as well as other booking platforms or use an external reservation system, you can now export bookings from iGMS to another calendar via iCal. You can also use iCal to export cleaning tasks and reservations to Google Calendar, iOS Calendar, macOS Calendar, Facebook Events, Windows 10 Calendar App, Outlook Calendar or other calendars that support export via iCal.
How Do I Find and Use the Calendar Export via iCal Feature?
First, go to “Properties”, select the property for which you need to export the data and open “Calendars”. Next, in the section “Export via iCal” you need to copy the URL of the booking or task and insert it in the settings of any external vacation rental calendar that supports the iCal format.
After you’ve exported the reservations to your external calendar, you may change the update frequency there (usually from once per 5 minutes to 1-2 weeks).
When the bookings and cleanings have been exported to the external vacation rental calendar, they will have several distinctions that may help you to differentiate the reservations from the cleaning tasks.
Bookings are shown as full-day events and the calendar name is exported using the format: [B] – Joanna – Airbnb.
Cleanings are exported as tasks with a specific starting and ending time. Also, the name of such a calendar is formatted as [C] – Name of the Property.
So, in the calendar [B] stands for “Bookings” and [C] stands for ‘“Cleanings”. Here is a detailed overview on how to sync your Airbnb calendar with Google Calendar or sync your Airbnb calendar with your iPhone.
How to export your Airbnb calendar to Google Calendar:
- Go to your Google Сalendar and navigate to “Settings” in the upper left-hand side of the screen.
- In the Settings menu select “Add calendar” and in the drop-down menu click on “From URL”.
- A window will pop up where you can paste the URL of your vacation rental calendar (iCal link).
- Your reservations or cleaning tasks of a selected property will now be exported to your Google Calendar.
How to export your calendar to macOS calendar:
- Open Calendar on your Apple device (MacBook or iMac).
- Click the Calendars button in the upper left-hand corner of the window to see your list of calendars.
- Choose File > New Calendar Subscription.
- Paste the iCal link, then click Subscribe.
- Your reservations or cleaning tasks of a selected property will now be exported to your macOS Calendar.
Can You Undo the Calendar Export?
You can easily undo the iGMS calendar sync regardless of your level of access. If you can manage the calendar list, simply remove the unwanted calendar from the subscribed calendars.
If you do not have the controlling permission, you can undo the calendar export with the help of the “Reset Token” inside the iGMS system. After you’ve copied the iCal URL and copied it to the external calendar, you may cancel this action by resetting the token via your iGMS account. This option is particularly useful if, for example, you want to restrict access to the vacation rental calendar used by one of your former cleaners.
How will Your Vacation Rental Calendar Look After the Export?
Each property has a unique link with bookings and cleanings that are exported as separate calendars. For example, if you are exporting reservations to Google Calendar you may view the bookings for one property or all properties at once. You are able to export the following information about reservations and cleanings to the external calendar:
Export Bookings [B]:
- Name and address of the property (with the location on Google Maps)
- Date and time of the check-in and checkout
- Platform name where the booking was made (e.g. Airbnb)
- Number of guests
Export Cleanings [C]:
- Cleaning event name and location
- Cleaning date and time range
- Regular instructions for the cleaning tasks (average time of the cleaning, type and number of beds, any additional notes)
- The time at which the property will be vacant and when it will be possible for cleaning to commence